Banking during lockdown
COVID-19 has wiggled its insidious way past our border control and is now attacking South Africans and their livelihoods directly. We’ve been watching with horror and compassion as the rest of the world struggle to contain this deadly virus, now it’s our turn.
We support the decision by President Ramaphosa to go into lockdown. Now we need to get our lives in order. Banking is a big part of our lives, and we must think about how we’re going to bank during a lockdown. Here are some things you must know:
Branches will remain open
Our branches will remain open and our ATMs will be stocked with cash as we commit to support you through this crisis. We’ve also stepped up our hygiene protocols as your safety and that of our staff is our primary concern. Even so, we encourage you to use our digital platforms to do your banking or give us a call at 0860 123 000. You shouldn’t need to go into the branch at all. And, please, if you need help with your cashflow during this time let us know; we have various ways to support you.
You can do all your banking digitally
Digital platforms provide efficient, fast, safe and nearly instantaneous solution to many, if not all of your daily banking requirements, and you can do it while avoiding public spaces.
Manage account limits, make payments to local or international beneficiaries, settle traffic fines, download and send statements or apply for a personal loan from almost anywhere and anytime.
Other digital features available to Standard Bank clients include the options to:
- Buy, send, store or spend foreign currency via the award-winning Shyft Forex App. The app’s features have been enhanced so that it is easier to track currency performance and movements.
- Send money quickly and safely via Instant Money to 6 000 locations around the country and to anyone with a cellphone number.
- Stay connected by accessing prepaid airtime, data and electricity via Standard Bank Internet Banking.
- Increase contributions to an emergency fund, linked to an individual’s profile on the Standard Bank Mobile App.
- If you need data to do your banking, consider signing up for a Standard Bank Mobile SIM. It costs R 99, we deliver it to you, and we’re giving our mobile customers 1GB free for the next 3 months.
Our Client Service Teams are also able to help you telephonically. Just call 0860 123 000. And, if you have a Personal Banker ask for them by name. Stay safe. Let’s slow the curve and win the war against COVID-19 together.