The policy provides cover for unforeseen circumstances when travelling locally or abroad when your travel ticket is purchased with your Standard Bank MasterCard or Visa card. Public conveyance means any scheduled or chartered conveyance legally licensed to carry passengers for hire, in which the insured person is travelling only as a fare-paying passenger, including taxis but excluding minibuses, non-standard motor vehicles and non-pressurised single engine piston aircraft.
Please note that the provision of the insurance and services is always subject to terms and conditions, exclusions and travellers' obligations specifically detailed in the Master Policy, a copy of which can be obtained from the Travel Insurance call centre on 0861 114 494.
You can view premiums here
Your travel insurance policy will cover the following events:
Emergency and medical related expenses
- Medical expenses (in-patient and out-patient);
- Medical evacuation, repatriation and transport to a medical centre;
- Return after medical treatment;
- Visit by a family member if you are hospitalised;
- Return of accompanying children and/or travel companion (if they are also insured by AIG South Africa Limited);
- Burial, cremation or return of mortal remains;
- Coffin expenses.
- Death and permanent disability - 24 hours a day and whilst on a public conveyance (under 76 years of age).
Loss of unused, non-refundable deposits due to the cancellation of journey resulting from:
- Your unexpected death, illness or injury, or that of your spouse, your dependent children or the person overseas with whom you intended to stay;
- The non-availability of the person that was intended to take care of your dependent or disabled children, due to death, illness or injury;
- Cancellation of your leave by your employer due to the non-availability of a colleague intended to replace you during your journey as a result of death, illness or injury within 30 days of the date of departure;
- The termination of your employment due to economic reasons within 30 days of departure (including retrenchment);
- Your obligatory presence in court;
- Important and considerable damage to real estate owned by you, caused within 30 days of departure;
- Theft or complete immobilisation of your private vehicle at the moment of departure or towards the point of departure due to a traffic accident, fire or as a result of a hijacking;
- Delay at the point of embarkation resulting from immobilisation of more than one hour due to a traffic accident or circumstance beyond one's control ("Act of God") during the trip towards the place of embarkation or arrival.
Loss of unused, non-refundable deposits due to the curtailment of journey resulting from:
- Your unexpected death, illness or Injury or the unexpected death, Illness or Injury of your spouse, business associate, children, the person with whom you had intended to stay abroad, a relative or travel companion.
- Cancellation or diversion of scheduled public transport services, including by reason of strikes or other industrial action, unless there was media warning 24 hours before the date the particular Insured journey was booked that such events were likely to occur.
- Loss or theft of travel documents (travel tickets, passports and visas).
Loss of baggage, personal effects, documents, money and credit cards
- Accidental loss or theft or damage to your accompanying baggage and personal effects;
- Non-recoverable cost of replacing travel documents, airline tickets, credit cards and traveller's cheques;
- Assistance in the advancement of funds should cash, bank currency notes, postal or money orders or other negotiable instruments be damaged, lost or stolen;
- Legal liability arising out of the unauthorised use of travel documents, credit cards or traveller's cheques as a result of fraud.
- As a result of the carrier delaying, misdirecting or misplacing your baggage.
- Loss or theft of travel documents (travel tickets, passports and visas).
- An accident involving the transport in which you arranged to travel or was travelling for the purpose of reaching the point of departure and/or departure point from which he had intended commencing an onward journey.
- Delay of a scheduled departure of a public conveyance due to:
- industrial dispute, strike or action; or
- adverse weather conditions including cyclones, tornados, floods, typhoons, blizzards, or natural disasters in the country to or through which he is travelling; or
- mechanical/electrical breakdown; or
- Public transports services failure.
- Accidental injury to another person;
- Accidental loss or damage to another's property.
- Cash advances;
- Consular referrals;
- Emergency travel and accommodation services;
- 24-hour medical emergency and assistance telephone line;
- Transmission of urgent messages;
- Your premature return in the event of death, illness or injury of a spouse, child, relative or business associate;
- Legal assistance abroad.
AIG will not be liable to pay any benefit caused by or arising directly or indirectly from:
- War and terrorism (there is limited terrorism cover under optional cover);
- Nuclear, biological or chemical contamination;
- Engaging in occupational activities underground or requiring the use of explosives;
- Wilful or deliberate exposure to danger (except in an attempt to save human life), intentional self-inflicted injury, suicide or attempt thereat;
- Deliberate violation of criminal law;
- Travelling by air except as a passenger on a legally licensed aircraft or where the Insured Person is acting as part of the aircraft crew;
- Mental disorders;
- Pregnancy or childbirth of the Insured Person (except for an unexpected medical complication or emergency occurring during the first 26 weeks of the pregnancy);
- Sexually transmitted diseases and the conditions commonly known as AIDS or HIV and/or any related illness or condition including derivatives or variations thereof, howsoever acquired or caused;
- Chronic fatigue syndrome or mylagic encephalomyelitis (M. E.) (anticardiolipin antibody positivity) or the illness commonly referred to as yuppie flu;
- Non-adherence to medical advice;
- An insured person being under the influence of alcohol, drugs or narcotics;
- Any Pre-existing medical condition;
- Any cardiac or cardio vascular or vascular or cerebro vascular illness or conditions or sequelae thereof or complications that, in the opinion of a Medical Practitioner appointed by the Company, can reasonably be related thereto, if the Insured Person has received medical advice or treatment (including medication) for hypertension 12 months prior to the commencement of the Insured Journey;
- An Insured Person travelling against medical advice or to seek medical attention or advice or with a terminal condition which was diagnosed prior to the Insured Journey or when he is unfit to do so;
- Any cardiac or cardio vascular or vascular or cerebro vascular illness or conditions or sequelae thereof or complications that, in the opinion of a Medical Practitioner appointed by the Company, can reasonably be related thereto, for persons over the age of 70 years;
- Employment involving Manual Labour, other than whilst off duty;
- Undertaking employment on a permanent or contract basis which is not casual, other than whilst on a leisure trip;
- Participating in any sport as a professional player;
- School sports;
- Any hazardous pursuits, sports or activities which introduce or increase the possibility of a loss;
- Consequential loss of any kind or financial loss and/or expense not otherwise specifically covered;
- Default or insolvency of the carrier;
- The insured person's intention to emigrate.