How to open a bank account
A bank account is a reliable way to keep your money safe while earning interest. Many jobs nowadays also require you to have a bank account to receive your salary.
Is it your first time opening a bank account and you don’t know where to start? Simply visit any South African Bank with your ID book and proof of residence to open a bank account that suits your needs.
With a basic transactional account you can:
- Withdraw cash at ATMs
- Deposit cash into your bank account
- Swipe your debit card at till points
- Receive SMS notifications of your transactions
- Bank from your cellphone at minimal cost
What you will need:
- South African ID book or valid passport with the relevant study/work permit
Note: Green barcoded ID book or smartcards only
- Proof of residence
Note: Utility bills or a bank-letter completed by your landlord, local chief or councillor
Who can open a bank account in South Africa?
- South African citizens
- Foreign nationals living in South Africa