How to open a bank account
A bank account is a safe and reliable way to keep your money, and many jobs nowadays require you to have a bank account to receive your salary.
All you need is your ID book and proof of residence to open an account at any South African Bank. Pick an account and a bank that works for your needs including low fees and benefits to match your lifestyle.
Basic transactional accounts offer:
- A debit card to use for withdrawals and deposits of cash
- SMS notifications of your transactions
- Cell phone banking, so that you can transact from your phone at minimal cost
What you will need
- SA ID book or valid passport with the relevant study/work permits
Note: Green barcoded ID book or smartcards only
- Proof of residence
Note: Utility bills or a bank-letter completed by your landlord, local chief or councillor
Who can open a bank account in SA?
- South African Citizens
- Foreign Nationals living in SA