What does travel insurance cover
Travelling can be a stressful experience when things go wrong like delayed flights or lost luggage. What does Travel Insurance cover, and when should you use it? Find out here.
Travelling can be a stressful experience when things go wrong, such as delayed flights or lost luggage. Find out what our travel insurance covers and when you should use it.
Deciding whether to take out travel insurance before your next trip could be the reason for either enjoying your holiday or not. But it needn’t be. Worse than your travels not going to plan is not having the right insurance in place to cover any unexpected costs.
Don’t let lost luggage – or worse – ruin your well-deserved break.
WHAT TRAVEL INSURANCE COVERS:
1. Free travel insurance with MasterCard and Visa
You’ll automatically get free basic travel insurance* when using your MasterCard or Visa Card to buy your local or international plane tickets:
- Depending on your card, you can receive between R450 000 and R1 million automatic cover, with additional optional travel insurance available at preferential rates.
- Applicable for trips up to 90 days, automatic cover offers up to R800 000 cover against accidental death and permanent disability and emergency medical expense (illness or injury) cover of up to R1 million (for Gold, Platinum and Titanium cardholders).
- Limited hijack, personal liability and baggage and travel delay cover are also included.
2. Additional optional travel insurance
Basic travel cover may not meet all your needs. Adding optional travel insurance can ensure that you’re fully prepared. Depending on your chosen cover, you can receive up to R11 million cover for trips up to 180 days.
- Optional cover gives you up to R1 million cover against accidental death and permanent disability and up to R11 million emergency medical expense cover.
- Costs incurred due to theft or damage of your baggage, flight delays, ticket upgrades or cancellation and curtailment are also covered, as well as any extra fees should your pets need to stay an extra day or two than expected in kennels or catteries.
- Hijacks, personal liability, natural disasters and identity theft costs are further insured.
Corporate and senior (aged 76+), local and international optional travel insurance differs. See your policy wording document for full details.
Before going away, you’ll want to know exactly what you’re covered for and if it suits your travel needs. It’s best to speak to your bank about your travel insurance policy before leaving to ensure your peace of mind while travelling.
*FREE BASIC TRAVEL INSURANCE IS NOT AVAILABLE TO SENIORS AGED 76+